18.2.07

Tomato Soup

As harvest time quickly approaches I've been busy planning and preparing things for storage. The tomatoes have been pretty good this season and I've managed two pots of this soup, it's the best recipie I've ever tried for tom soup. I took some today when I visited my friend's beautiful new baby boy. After my last baby I promised myself to make an effort towards any new mums I knew as the support I got was the difference between coping and not.

TOMATO SOUP.
14 lb tomatoes
7 large onions
3 Tbsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 Tsp thyme ( I use more)
1 Tsp mint ( I use more)
7 cloves
14 sprigs parsley

Boil together for 1 hour then mouli or pass through sieve. In a bowl mix 8 Tbsp flour and 1/2 pound melted butter to a smooth paste, add to soup and boil for futher 10 minutes. Serve with cheese scones, or freeze some for later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum, thanks for this recipe! It's always good to remember you can make soup from the plentiful tomatoes at this time of year, and freeze it for colder weather. I'd like to be a better friend to new mothers too, thank you for the inspiration.