13.9.09

C'mon let's go have a walk round the garden. It rained yesterday.

Heaps of buds getting ready to burst on the Nashi, one of my best performing espaliers. It's pollinated by neighbouring pears.

Yay the asparagus is up, might be having it for tea tomorrow night. I like it wrapped in Proscuttio or lightly steamed then in with my sushi. Better pull out those weeds, they'll take off in this weather.I'm excited about this little purple one. I grew these form seeds three years ago so I get to cut and taste some of these this year.
Have you been saving your egg shells all winter? They're doing the trick for me to keep the slugs
off my sweet peas.
I haven't got many seedlings going yet. The purple Cherokee tomatoes I saved have had a great strike, but of my Money makers only two came up so far. Had a good strike of the Alderman tall Peas. Waiting for sunflowers, peppers, cleome, phacelia, basil, zucchinis and cucumbers to come up. Protecting them all from frost in the glasshouse. Haven't even thought about getting the spuds in yet or kumara, but have popped in a few onions and carrots.
Kids are looking foward to strawberries, plums and raspberries, cherry tomatoes and corn too I imagine.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I cook, grind and feed my shells back to the chooks for calcium. Last year I put eggshells around my carrots but the blackbirds scattered them and the slugs got in...

I would love it if you could do a post on asparagus growing Gilly. My efforts rotted last year.

Jodi said...

I'm trying to grow Brandywines and white tomatoes this year....along with the tommy's and zebra's. I have a nice collection of egg shells but was a bit late at the buggers got to me zuc's and pumpkins :(