12.4.08

My best garage sale find in ages. A lovely big crock in perfect condition. My Aunty use to do salted beans in hers, I'm just displaying mine in the entrance so I can enjoy it as I come in and out. $5. For once I bet the dealers to something great.
I've been doing a little bit of everything in the last few weeks.
Got loaned this great book written by Paul Moon who spent a good deal of time talking to an old Maori Tohunga (Shaman/medicine/spiritual man). It offers a spiritual or traditional approach to gardening in N.Z. Things which really stuck in my mind were saying a prayer before working in your garden to rid yourself of any negative energy which you might pass onto your seedlings and veges. Also the traditional way of community gardening which I think people are beginning to move back towards. As people garden together they share their knowledge, pass on their traditions and strengthen their community. In Hohepa Kereopa's old community they all planted the crops together, then at harvest time the person who travelled the farthest got first pick of the crop while the plot owner got last, but when it was their turn to travel the farthest they got first pick. The book has information about traditional planting methods, including for Kumara, native medicinal plants and flax weaving traditions. I was inspired by it because I have real hope that we can create communities that care about each other and the land.From another book I've been making a few Softies. I'm enjoying doing a bit of hand embroidery but was very frustrated at myself and Mum for not knowing how to do a simple French knot despite having a diagram and instructions right in front of me. I'm one who has to be shown. He still looks good even if he hasn't got french knot nostrils.
Other sewing attempts have been disastrous so I've been sowing seeds and making compost instead.

7 comments:

melissa said...

is that the alien giraffe pattern by kate? it's fantastic! i love its sweet face despite not having french knots (i have major problems with those.)

that book looks really interesting- esp. the part about saying a prayer or blessing before beginning work in the garden- perhaps i need to do that with all the different work i do- knitting, sewing, cooking included?

i love the first picture- it's so autumnal! hope you're enjoyin the cooler days and evenings. xx

Jodi said...

What a beautiful Entrance to your home. I admire you girls that sew as I can't. Well I can get by doing holes and little tears!!! French Knots are new to me and they look as hard as they sound. Gardening is a better solution!

jasmine t said...

i love that softies book!!where did it come from???
hope you're enjoying autumn!!!

Suzan said...

I love your "Softie" (even without french knot nostrils, too)! It's just now the beginning of our growing season and I'm inspired about negativity banishing prayers.

Anonymous said...

I love that book by Paul Moon, would love a copy of my own too! Jannelle / Heart Felt / www.teatodtoad.typepad.com

Kate said...

I love your alien giraffe!

Cat said...

WOW I've just taken this book out of the library - isn't it grand! I can't wait to make the owl for Miss 23 months